Dear students of the University of Iceland
Elections to the Student Council took place on March 24th and 25th, and election results are in.
Following the elections, a new Student Council elects its representatives for the Student Council’s rights office, as well as electing other members of the Council. The election meeting will be held on April 21st, 2021, at 17:00 on Teams.
According to paragraph 9 of the Student Council’s laws, the Council’s meetings are open to all students at the University of Iceland. If a student wishes to attend the meeting, a request needs to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The meeting agenda can be found here.
At the election meeting it is possible to run for President, Vice-President, Students Interest Representative, Students Loan Fund Representative, and for the Student Council’s committees, as well as other positions on behalf of the Council. Those who are elected at the election meeting take office at an exchange meeting, cf. Article 4 of the Student Council’s law. Eligible for election to the Council’s rights office, committees, and other positions are all those who have been registered to study at the University of Iceland in the last three years before the election meeting.
Office Elected at Student Council Office, in accordance with the Council law:
- The President of the Student Council is elected at the election meeting.
- Vice-President of the Student Council is elected at the election meeting.
- Student Loan Fund Representative is elected at the election meeting. He sits on the board of the Student Loan Fund. He does not, however, take over from the former representative until negotiations have been concluded on the allocation rules for the next school year. The Deputy Student Representative in the Fund’s Board is appointed by the Student Council’s rights office.
- Student Interest Representative is elected at the election meeting.
Committees, in accordance with the Council law:
- For the Finance and Economic Affairs Committee, the Equal Rights Committee, the International Affairs Committee, the Transportation and Environmental Affairs Committee, the Family Affairs Committee, the Cultural and Social Events Committee and the Amendments Committee the Student Council elects four representatives at the election meeting.
- The Student Council elects two representatives for the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Committee at the election meeting.
At the election meeting, newly elected representatives of the Student Council can only vote. If candidates are more than the number of positions a proportional vote is necessary. If more than one person is elected in a specific election, the person who receives the most votes wins the position, then the person who comes next, and so on.
Nominations for the positions must be submitted to the chair of the meeting, who is also the President of the Student Council, Isabel Alejandra Díaz, before the election meeting at email@example.com or at the meeting itself.
Please contact the office of the Student Council at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions regarding the meeting agenda.